Sunday, February 20, 2011

Meet Gary, a homeless man on Broad & Chestnut

Gary was sitting bent over at the corner of Broad and Chestnut on this particular day that I decided to do street photography.



A young lady probably in her 20's squatted down to talk to Gary for a good 10 minutes. She then ran off crying...



I walked over to talk to the man. He told me his name is Gary and that he had been homeless for about 6 years. I asked how he was able to deal with the extreme cold we've had. He mentioned that a friend of him had, according to Gary "hit it big" and was able to get a hotel for a week. Gary then proudly showed me the green sports watch he had received from the woman who had stopped to talk to him.



I asked Gary if he needed to get help to get to the shelter which he denied because he's had bad experience with them. I gave him some money, shook his hand, and wished him well.

Enjoy the journey...
ADP

1 comment: